MOnday Morning with a little bit of Penis Envy





 Hello, my name is Emily and I have been chosen by the wonderful girls of
Yoursideofthemoon to do this music blog. I am a floral punk living in Oakland.
In case you didn't know Oakland is oozing with wonderful feminist punks. Which inspired my first post. 
So I decided on Penis Envy by Crass. Crass is probably my favorite punk band.
They didn't believe in having just one front person, which I love. In this album the female vocals are done by Eve Libertine and Joy De Vivre. 
Their vocals transition from harsh to completely angelic all while singing about less than comfortable but completely real feminist topics. 
It attacks nearly every expectation there is for women in society from sexual repression and marriage to beauty rituals in an almost playful manner. 
It is probably the most feministic album I have ever come across. 
This album comes out fighting starting with the first song on the album an upbeat fun song, Bata Motel, seething with irony. 
To the final song on the album Our Wedding which they actually inspired the Loving magazine hoax. Where Crass submitted their completely over the top joke song about marriage to the teenage romance magazine Loving, where the magazine actually released a flexidisc of the song. 
Crass did this in order ‘to expose all this absolute shit they’re shovelling out.' -Rimbaud. Although the scheme is complete genius, it's their music is that I love.
Crass, and this album have been a huge influence and the music I make as well as the person I am today. I think that every woman, feminist or not should listen to this album. It's an abrasive and fun, beautiful in it's integrity, raw, and relevant to anyone who lives within our society. So go listen to this and have fun.
Until next week!




 xoxo
Emily Floral Punk
weLOVEyou
ToTheMoonAndBack


ThisSideOfTheMoon

No comments:

Post a Comment